Surge Settling In

Well, we haven’t had a whole lot of training going on since Surge still needs either shoes or boots, but I haven’t decided which yet. Also, the weather has been dismal with many rainy February days. I’m looking forward to a string of good days so that we can get riding and doing ground work again. All the horses are bored and in need of a job. Surge will hit the five-week post-surgery date at the end of this week, which means according to our vet, he’ll be able to slowly return to regular work.

When Surge arrived here, as mentioned in a previous post, he was missing two shoes; one front and one back. Well, when the front shoe came off, it really took a chunk of his hoof with it, and we’re wanting that to grow out a bit because we think it will be difficult to nail a shoe on. In the meantime, I tried putting Cavallo boots on him to make him more comfortable. In the past I have had trouble with two other pairs of Cavallo boots falling apart even though they had very minimal use. I put my third pair on Surge, and they fit well, and I felt good with them. Well, within a day the boots both fell apart. The toe piece completely broke off on both of the boots and the sole started disconnecting from the boot itself on one of them. My previous pairs had the soles completely crack off to where it looked like my horse was simply wearing a bell boot. I didn’t mean for this to be a product review, but I guess it is somewhat — buyer beware.

I’ve had bad luck with Cavallo boots.

I’ve been doing some research on replacement boots, and I have heard a lot of good things about Scoot Boots. I think I will go ahead and order a pair and see how he does with them. I emailed the company yesterday with a question, and I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly they answered my email. My fingers are crossed that this will help.

I’ve also been trying to add some weight to the skinny boy. I’ve had good results in the past with feeding soaked alfalfa pellets to my Thoroughbreds. Well, I did the same with Surge, but he wasn’t impressed. He dumped the pellets and looked at me as if I was secretly hiding the good stuff — the grain. He then showed his displeasure with my choice of feed when his expectations were not met.

Aside from his hoof issues, he has been settling in nicely. He seems content for the most part, and more often than not, he leads in and out better than my more seasoned Thoroughbreds, which has been a nice surprise. His biggest challenge since being here has been conquering the step-over board to get into and out of his stall without becoming a 1200-pound quivering mass of indecision. Thankfully he is getting better about that, but it’s still not at all graceful.

Stay tuned for a review of his first turnout session with another horse.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s